Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Underfed

Does this look like an underfed belly to you?


Well, it doesn't to me.

But apparently, it does to some people.

Last week, I was meeting up with a dear friend at the mall to have some lunch. I got there before she did, and there weren't very many people in the food court, so I claimed a table and sat down to wait for her.

An old lady, with a rather large sandwich from Paradise Bakery, sat down at the next table. I pulled out my phone and started playing a game where a little cow climbs high in the sky, jumping from cloud to cloud, trying to rescue his cow friends that have been abducted by aliens.

I love my phone.

Anyway, several minutes later, and my game skillz are interrupted.

"Do you have something to eat?"

I look up. It's the old lady from the next table over. She's looking at me with a concerned expression on her face.

"Oh - I'm meeting a friend here for lunch!"

I'm thinking maybe she doesn't like that I'm just sitting at the table, taking up space in the food court that someone could be using for eating. That does seem a bit silly, however, seeing as how there are several empty tables all around us.

"But you will have something to eat, won't you?"

"Um, yes. We're going to have Chick-Fil-A." *Side note: I love Chick-Fil-A. Side note over.*

"Ok..." She still sounds wary. "I just wanted to make sure you were going to eat something."

"Oh. Yeah, I will."

"Ok." And she walks back to her table.

I find myself wondering about this.

So either she really was upset that I was taking up a table in the food court, or she thought I was a poor, underfed pregnant woman who couldn't afford to eat and had to either (a) sit in the food court and just smell the food, hoping that it would satisfy my desperate hunger, or (b) sit in the food court and wait for a nice old lady to offer to buy me some food.

I was hungry. Maybe I was just showing it too much.

I also kind of think I should have started crying and said that I didn't know if I was going to be able to eat ever again.

Now that would have been blog worthy.

Anyway, thank you, old lady, for caring about me and my unborn child. You'll be happy to know that I absolutely devoured my waffle fries.

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet! Either way- whether she wanted the table or wanted you fed- she handled it with such poise and care... can I adopt her as my grandma?

    ReplyDelete

Your turn.