Sunday, December 13, 2009

Last Christmas

I gave you my heart
But the very next day, you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears,
I'll give it to someone special.

Do you know this song?

If you listen to the same Christmas radio station that I listen to, you do. You probably know it backwards.

Special someone to it give I'll
tears from me save to year this
away it gave you day next very the but
heart my you gave I Christmas last.

Yeah, that probably made perfect sense to you.

This song gets played a lot. And like everyone that's ever recorded a Christmas song sings it.

WELL guess what? If I ever record a Christmas album, I'm NOT singing this one.

That's right - I don't like this song. Nope, I sure don't.

The original version by Wham! is especially irksome to me. At least other versions have decent vocals.

But really, what is this song other than a love song disguised as a Christmas song? I'll tell you what - it's a bad love song disguised as a Christmas song!

If it wasn't for the word Christmas, it wouldn't be allowed to play at Christmastime. And since none of the other lyrics have anything to do with Christmas, I submit that we officially change the title of the song to "Last Easter" or "Last August," which make just as much sense, and get this song off the Christmas playlist.

So - do you have Christmas songs that you just get sick of, or deny the Christmasness of? Don't worry - it doesn't make you a Scrooge.

5 comments:

  1. um, I have to agree. I hate that song. Trent and I were just discussing it the other day and cannot figure out if it is a male or female singing it. Which has made for an even creepier image in my mind. Seriously, they need to take it off the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I hate that song too! I also hate the one about the guy who runs into an old flame at a convenience store and they buy some beer and talk and at the end he's even more hung up on her than before...WHAT MAKES THAT A CHRISTMAS SONG??? other than they just happen to run into each other on Christmas Eve?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Elyse I totally know which one you're talking about! The "we drank a toast to innocence" song. And I'm so with you- I don't like it either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that song is pretty fun to make fun of when Ryan and I are singing at home. Another song that I really don't think is a Christmas song at all- My Favorite Things from Sound of Music. Yet they play it all the time on the Christmas station! Not that I don't like the song, but I really think it has nothing to do with Christmas. Except that it is also a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack says the same thing about the movies White Christmas and It's a Wonderful LIfe. Other then the fact that they happen around Christmas does not make them Christmas movies. HOwever I think they are the best Christmas movies ever.


    You are right about the song though. A-NOY-ING!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn.