Sunday, May 9, 2010

She

Several weeks ago, my ward had a dinner to celebrate the "birthday" of the Relief Society (our church's organization for women). After eating yummy food and listening to some inspiring thoughts, they played a slide show they had made just for the event. The slide show was comprised of pictures taken of the women in the ward doing something with their hands - cooking, gardening, holding a baby, etc.

The pictures were beautiful, but what really got me was the music. I'll admit, it might have had something to do with the fact that I've been pretty "out" of the spiritual music scene for a while. These songs could have been the biggest sensation ever to hit the shelves and I wouldn't have known it. So you've probably heard them...but whatever. The two songs that played seriously touched me, and I was forcing back tears. Good tears. These songs so perfectly described my feelings about motherhood and womanhood - about the kind of woman I want to be, and about the kind of woman my own mother is my eyes.

So, for Mother's Day, I decided to let my mom know that this is how I see her. I made a slide show of my own, and have shared it with you here. You don't have to watch it, of course...but I would highly recommend at least listening to it and thinking of your own mom.




My mom continues to amaze me all the time. I think part of the reason I love being a mom so much is that it gives me the chance to be THE influence in someone's life - just like my mom has been the influence in mine.

So yeah. Go hug a mom. Or make your kids give you a hug. Or give yourself a hug. Whatever you do today, make sure hugging is involved at some point. Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. awww, brought a tear to my eye. Your mom is wonderful and what a lovely tribute to such a great lady. I always admired your mom for having a law degree and then being a stay at home mom for her great kids. Another thing I admire about her is her wit even though she is so shy and quiet she came up with the best skits in RS and YW's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! thanks for sharing with us all. You and your mom are lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn.